Brian Haycock

incognito

Er det ikke problematisk, at når man søger efter videnskabeligt materiale begået af Brian Haycock i anerkendte videnskabelige blade, at man ikke støder på noget? TJ fortæller i en af sine poster at han (BH) har lavet forskning, som har vist det ene og det andet (ikke for at lyde kritisk over for andre end BH - Jeg mener med alle de grader, har han da dårligt haft tid til andet end at gå til eksamen og skriver opgaver). Hvor er BH's forskning? Må man godt kalde sig selv for forsker, hvis man aldrig har fået offentliggjort noget?

En eller anden der ved noget, hvis du læser dette, gider du så ikke smide nogle links eller referencer til hans arbejder?

Det er iøvrigt det samme med Mel C. Siff, den omtalte forfatter af supertraining.

Man skal vel forholde sig lidt kritisk til ting

Ja undskyld, det er måske ikke det rigtige forum, men jeg tænkte at det havde relevans i forhold til den megen snak der er om HST.

Edited by incognito

Credentials:

Testosterone: Bryan, you come from a pretty diverse educational background. Describe that to us please.

Bryan Haycock: I entered college in 1990 and began my coursework primarily in psychology. Two years later, I considered going to medical school so I added pre-med to my major. Two years after that I added exercise and sport science to the list. I finished my pre-med undergrad work, but finding myself pretty unsatisfied with the pre-med scene I decided to enter graduate school and get a Masters in Exercise Physiology. All the while I continued to take psychology and philosophy classes for my own interests. Finally in 2000 I graduated with a Bachelors in Clinical Psychology and Exercise and Sport Science, and a Masters in Exercise Phys, with a minor in Nutrition.

T: Wow, that's boatload of degrees!

BH: I've got to add something here, though, Chris. What a person actually gets out of their education, no matter what credentials they're awarded with in the end, depends entirely on the individual. Passion and personal dedication determine what you actually learn in school, not grades or degrees. I know lots of people who are prolific in science and exercise physiology and they don't have any formal degrees. They've simply taken it upon themselves to read the publicly available research and study it for themselves.

: Very true. Now, for those who don't know you, tell us how you've been involved in bodybuilding and supplements over the years.

BH: I've always had a passion for bodybuilding. I got my first weight set when I was eight years old and I've never stopped lifting.

T: Age eight? I think I picked up a really heavy Shogun Warrior toy at age eight, but that's about it. Did you reach a point where you competed, like at twelve or something?

BH: When I turned fifteen I entered my first contest, but I didn't compete again for another five or six years. The stage didn't really do much for me so I cut my competitive career pretty short. I still lifted like a competitive bodybuilder, though, and worked at various gyms as a trainer. I got the usual certifications such as CSCS to get better pay.

Later, thanks to my good friend Millard Baker, I began writing for various bodybuilding mags. From this arose the opportunity to work for a consulting firm called Supplement Facts. My job was to provide scientific substantiation (from the medical journals) for supplement companys' claims about their supplements. Many times there simply wasn't any, so I'd kindly suggest to them that they drop the claim. The FDA has certain regulations on what are called "structure/function claims" that any supplement company must adhere to whenever they make claims about their products. Over time I learned more than anyone should ever know about herbs and their traditional uses! [laughing]

I've continued to write for bodybuilding mags and act as a consultant for other private companies until most recently, when I've devoted all my time to helping people with HST through the Hypertrophy-Specific website.

T: In the last ten years or so, it seems like there's been a shift in bodybuilding. In the "old days" guys learned from other lifters and by trial and error. Then the strength coaches came into the picture armed with flashy studies and unique training programs. But is that what bodybuilders need? I mean, we just want to get big and muscular, so do we need to be following these coaches who work chiefly with gifted athletes on their strength and performance?

BH: You know, that's a great question. I'll admit that I'm biased in favor of "good" science. Watching what others do who've achieved what you want to achieve is a logical first step. However, it has some glaring weaknesses. After all, how many of us only see what they do in the gym or read about what they do in the magazines? There aren't many of us who are invited into their homes to see what they do when they aren't in the gym to help them achieve their freakish size. I've seen many, many people do exactly what they see the big guys do in the gym, yet to their surprise they never seem to achieve the same results.

Så vidt jeg husker, så laver han nogen undersøgelser på nogen syge mennesker... (alt hvad jeg kan huske)

Det Thomas J formentlig har ment, er at han har SAMLET en mængde undersøgelser - der skal være nogen til at kæde forskningen sammen ;)